dear bed

Monday, June 1, 2009

8:57 AM | 6 Comments

you know how every little object in life contains a fragment of your memories?

like how an eraser would remind you of your silly childhood games,

an airplane would make you recall your dream to become a pilot,

or a keychain would bring back memories of how you first saved money to buy something for mommy.


my bed harbours memories of my childhood.


the bed i'm sleeping on now, it has been with me since primary school.

painted in a pretty shade of pink and white, it came with matching furnitures - a study table and a closet.

all in white with a little dash of pink to give it a girly look.

i remember the day we went shopping for them. dad and mom brought us both to choose our new bedroom furnitures. before that we slept on mattresses on the floor with my maid. and before that we had double-decker beds.

the place was filled with beds... and more beds. it was a playground for both of us. but i knew i wanted this set when we playfully sat at the table pretending we were studying. it just felt right.

they were perfect too, they came in two shades, pink and green.

so we bought them.

when i was young i shared a room with my brother. we kept each other company in the weirdest way.

throughout primary school we were both very lazy. major sloths. especially when it came to homework. so most of the time we'd spend the day out playing or watching tv and panick about homework when it's time to go to bed.

and then we started this weird habit...

of waking up at 1 or 2 am in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep to start on our homework.

i'd usually set the alarm and wake my bro up when it rings.
we would both scribble in our books until 3 a.m then we'd go back to bed. happy and contented.

when work got dull, we'd switch homeworks!
how cool is that? lol!

a 3rd grader attempting a 5th grader's homework while the 5th grader handles a 3rd grader's exercises.


how we survived primary school, i really don't know.


we used to fight alot too, nasty WWF moves from my brother. i hated wrestlers then. bah.

there was also a time when i was singing in the middle of the night cause i couldn't sleep and my bro was screaming for me to shut up.

i continued to sing every single song that zoomed past my mind,
until he threatened to punch me.

we annoyed the hell out of each other then.

but as we both grew older we had to switch rooms, that's when my bro shifted out and i started to share a room with my grandma.

the sibling set of furnitures had to part too.

and later on my bro moved on to college and stayed in a hostel.

i remained at home with my darling bed. i missed annoying him. i missed doing nonsense on sunday mornings and i missed the april fool pranks we pulled on each other early in the morning just cause it's stupid april fools.

it's funny now when i think back and imagine how it used to be. everything seemed to look so huge back then. now my closet is over-cluttered, i've outgrown my bed and my study table is so crammed it's used more as a storage than a table ever since i entered uni.

it's finally time to replace them.

their place will be taken over by a whole new set of furnitures, furnitures that i need now for my size...and my shopping capabilities *ahem-hem*

funny how we put sentimental feelings into objects around us.

it's the last week i'll be sleeping in my bed.

the bed that grew up with me,

the bed that kept me safe from harm,

the bed that gave me comfort and warmth when i needed it,

the bed that accompanied me throughout my tears and laughters all these years.

you've seen me at my worst,

you're still what i crave for every night when i come home.


so i sit here and look at you now,

and smile at the memories you help unfold.


6 comments:

Rejax said...

Mana the blog you cakap nak tulis tonight?

Anyway, you are lucky to have a furniture to had been with you for so long. I had never been using any furniture for more than 3 years in my life.

But then again, aren't memories such sweet things to have? ;p

soo imm said...

js: nahh, it's on top! i was out having a happy dinner with my frens lol.

and u dun have because u've been shifting like mad since young kan =.=

and i predict it'll be the same in the future too >.<

Rejax said...

oh now i see the 3in1 post.

And while it's true that I'm moving everywhere, i want to find a place and stay + rest there till the end of my days. One day... ;p

Sue Lin said...

I'm still using the purple and white furniture my parents bought be when i was about 7, no intentions of getting it replaced! LOL, like u my table is more of a storage. Pictures of ur new furniture?

soo imm said...

sue lin: omg!!i luv purple!! and lol u damn geng lah, i dun think i can tahan from 7 yrs old use until nw wei >.< won't u outgrow them?? like storage space :(

and my furnitures not complete yet haha. might consider taking pics sometime next week ;)

Sue Lin said...

Ok waiting for ur pix!

Yah can tahan cuz its love baby! HAHAH, storage is quite big, always gotta clean up though... but lately just stopped shopping so much la. My room feels like home and dont feel any need to change it at all, just wish there was less dust...

About

animals. dancing. food. friends. shopping. travelling. all the things she likes. and everything about her.